It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:25 pm

Contact Us | All times are UTC - 6 hours

Welcome
Welcome to sparkyscbshack

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Sears Roadtalker 40
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:13 am 

JrambowanaB wrote:Since were talking about old sears radios. someone gave me a 1974 made in Japan Sears & Roebuck 23ch radio it had the power wires broken so i resoldered them, and cleaned the radio inside/out with alcohol sprayer. The radio works the receive audio is the best Ive heard I like the rotary dial channel selector looks sci-fi old tech. can this radio be upgraded with 4pin mike jack , talkback, and 3WDK to run an amp? Hows the audio on this radios? Some have told me to throw it away, I believe that if i have this radio in my p/u no one would ever break in and steal it . its that ugly.

I say call Sparky. I'm sure he can do some mods to that Roadtalker.

Triple 5 in the Ozarks
Grocery Getter Delux

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:31 pm 

Opie628 wrote:Newbie here...but very interested in 11 meter...been reading posts for a couple of months now as a guest. Here's my question:

I have a mint 1977 Sears Roadtalker 40 (AM only) in my my pickup truck with a Cobra power mic and Wilson 1000 antenna from Sparky's...but it still doesn't get out the way I'd like. SWR's are in the 1.3 range. Should I try to modify the radio...if so, what mods...or should I box it back up and buy a Galaxy? I don't have room for an amp...2003 Tundra. The model # is 934.38110701. Any advice is greatly appreciated and I love the forum and banter that goes on here!!

Opie628
Sears Roadtalker 40
Cobra 142GTL
Wilson 1000
Tram 18.5 ft vertical

Awwwww....There's always room for a foot-warmer! Get yourself a toolbox, and you will have room for everything from a 1-pill, to a 32-pill Amp! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:41 am 

JesseJamesDallas wrote:
Opie628 wrote:Newbie here...but very interested in 11 meter...been reading posts for a couple of months now as a guest. Here's my question:

I have a mint 1977 Sears Roadtalker 40 (AM only) in my my pickup truck with a Cobra power mic and Wilson 1000 antenna from Sparky's...but it still doesn't get out the way I'd like. SWR's are in the 1.3 range. Should I try to modify the radio...if so, what mods...or should I box it back up and buy a Galaxy? I don't have room for an amp...2003 Tundra. The model # is 934.38110701. Any advice is greatly appreciated and I love the forum and banter that goes on here!!

Opie628
Sears Roadtalker 40
Cobra 142GTL
Wilson 1000
Tram 18.5 ft vertical

Awwwww....There's always room for a foot-warmer! Get yourself a toolbox, and you will have room for everything from a 1-pill, to a 32-pill Amp! :mrgreen:

Toolbox? I just removed the ashtray and started cutting till it fit!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:21 am 

That is what i call custom installation. Looks great, Thanks for the pic

Triple 5 in the Ozarks
Grocery Getter Delux

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:41 pm 

for not a chunk of cash, you could get a refurb'd 949 and have ssb. great little radio that sparky sells and after sparky tuning get out nicely. i have one, and i love it. paired it up with a midnite special 250, and im cutting through the clutter with now problems. at 90.00 for the unit, its a great price for am & ssb.

-supplyman

Galaxy 949 Sparky Tuned
yaesu ft-857d
yaesu ft-2800m
yaesu ft-250r

Tram Big Cat Antenna
K30 Mag
skythumper 2m/70cm mag
jetstream 7905b

KB3TZT (General)
SCB #149 Maryland (lsb)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:48 am 

triple nickel wrote:
JrambowanaB wrote:Since were talking about old sears radios. someone gave me a 1974 made in Japan Sears & Roebuck 23ch radio it had the power wires broken so i resoldered them, and cleaned the radio inside/out with alcohol sprayer. The radio works the receive audio is the best Ive heard I like the rotary dial channel selector looks sci-fi old tech. can this radio be upgraded with 4pin mike jack , talkback, and 3WDK to run an amp? Hows the audio on this radios? Some have told me to throw it away, I believe that if i have this radio in my p/u no one would ever break in and steal it . its that ugly.

I say call Sparky. I'm sure he can do some mods to that Roadtalker.

i have a 40 channel sears roadtalker an ssb base mobile that has been converted tha screams have 3 of them

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:00 pm 

JrambowanaB,

"can this radio be upgraded with 4pin mike jack"....What I did was buy a 5 pin DIN to 4 pin adapter and ran a Cobra power mic....helped quite a bit!

Mobile-Galaxy 919
Max 2000
Wilson 1000

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Contact Us | All times are UTC - 6 hours