It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:23 pm

Contact Us | All times are UTC - 6 hours

Welcome
Welcome to sparkyscbshack

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Q: Base ant. Radials: SS 102" whip vs Standard ¼ wave whips
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:12 pm 

I am planning to build a ground plane radial kit for my base antenna which is a home brew center fed ss102 inch whip with 4 102 wire radials (or I might get an Imax2K and add my own radials).

Now, I read about a guy that uses 4 SS 102 whips for his Imax's ground plane radials and really likes the performance. He claims that it created a full wave ground plane for 11 meters this way, not to mention that it is a 100% better built and constructed then what you can buy pre-made for the Antron or Imax. He also mentions that the kits sold out there use 6ft radials which are actually electrically shorter than what is ideal (i.e. 102"). Now, besides the cost of 4 SS 102's, would there be any difference from a performance standpoint compared to using (4) 4ft firestik-type whips (which are meant to be 102 inches electrically anyhow). So I guess my question is, can I save on the cost and still get the same performance with the cheaper whips. Keep in mind that the radiating element will still be a SS102 whip. If I can hear from those who know, that would be great.

Post subject: Re: Q: Base ant. Radials: SS 102" whip vs Standard ¼ wave whips
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:19 pm 

((( FRiZZ ))) wrote:I am planning to build a ground plane radial kit for my base antenna which is a home brew center fed ss102 inch whip with 4 102 wire radials (or I might get an Imax2K and add my own radials).

Now, I read about a guy that uses 4 SS 102 whips for his Imax's ground plane radials and really likes the performance. He claims that it created a full wave ground plane for 11 meters this way, not to mention that it is a 100% better built and constructed then what you can buy pre-made for the Antron or Imax. He also mentions that the kits sold out there use 6ft radials which are actually electrically shorter than what is ideal (i.e. 102"). Now, besides the cost of 4 SS 102's, would there be any difference from a performance standpoint compared to using (4) 4ft firestik-type whips (which are meant to be 102 inches electrically anyhow). So I guess my question is, can I save on the cost and still get the same performance with the cheaper whips. Keep in mind that the radiating element will still be a SS102 whip. If I can hear from those who know, that would be great.

I think I will build one just to find out for myself. Thanks for the suggestion! :P

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:20 pm 

If four of those whips make a "full wave" groundplane, do three of them only make a "3/4 wave" groundplane?? That's a rhetorical question byt the way. That 'full wave' groundplane is so much hog wash, just a play on words. It isn't how many as much as getting them close to the right length.
It really doesn't make any difference what those radials are made from as long as they conduct electricity. If you want to use 102" whips, loaded 1/4 wave antennas, plain old wire supported in some way, all of them will work. Loaded antenna, or wound fiberglass antennas will work. They will also be a bit more 'touchy' to tune, just like if they were used for antennas. Fishing poles with wire taped on them will work just as well as anything. Just depends on what you have or want to get.
- 'Doc

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:32 pm 

How long do the radials need to be Doc?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:57 pm 

About 8.5 to 9 feet long. They really aren't that critical. One rule of thumb is they ought to be as long as the vertical element.
- 'Doc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:41 am 

Any other thoughts?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:14 pm 

Never put whipped cream on liver jello!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:48 pm 

i made a homebrew 1/4 wave ground plane back in the spring , its worked and got compliments both locally and talking skip , barefooted and with power . my current antenna does better , but its a .64 WL .

that link above talks about how lowering the ground radials to 35 degrees sloped helps 1/4 waves tune better to 50 ohms . its about antennas on another band but that part still applies at 27 MHz. as well as the part about full 1/4 wavelength ground radials being important for 1/4 wgp antennas . i went with four 9 ft/108 inch 12 gauge stranded wires for my ground radials and they did well and are still doing well on my .64 . heres a link and pic of the wizardo 1/4wgp that us easy to build if its going to be guy wired .

http://home.att.net/~wizardoz/cbmw/ante ... ml#groundp

if you use four 5 ft peices of 3/4 s40 pve with a 4-way you can make a X standoff to attach the end of the ground wires to for a hanging standoff and just tie/strap/tape it to the side of the mast at the place it hangs at so it isnt blowing around in the wind . this works well if youre not gonna use guy wires too . heres what mine looked like .

its about a 33 degree slope and 7 foot drop according to this ......
http://www.cleavebooks.co.uk/scol/calrtri.htm

this same type of groundplane can be easily added to antron 99's and maco 2000's if someone want a really cheap one or if someone wants to see if adding a groundplane will benefit them without spending $50-$60 bucks for one delivered
good luck ;)

astatic 700
palomar 225
astrom RS-35M
8x coax

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:10 pm 

Hawaiian Redneck Antenny!!!! :lol:
Mounting I used an electric box w/those punch out holes. The Gumball mount fits perfectly in there. The weather proofed it "Hawaiian Redneck Style" Thin Foil. :lol:
It works, got to the Big Island and 161 Aus...

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Contact Us | All times are UTC - 6 hours