It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:39 am

Contact Us | All times are UTC - 6 hours

Welcome
Welcome to sparkyscbshack

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Maco Y Quad
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:59 pm 

Any opinions on the Maco Y Quad? Been thinking about putting one up on my tower. I used to have a PDL II 32 years ago but was taken down by a tree that fell taking and shearing the mast where it went into tower. Just got back on the radio about four months ago and kick my self for buying a omini I max. Not that the I max is not a good antenna. I used to talk DX back in the day and I find a bit to much noise now and when I had the beam you had some reflection becase of the back and sides. Didn't want to put a beam up 4 months ago because I figured it would be less work and I'm not going to be in this house in about six years (move'n south) and didn't want to dismantle the quad when I left. Thanks. Big G.

Wilson 1000
IMAX 2000/RG-213 coax
Jo Gunn "Smokin Gun II" Antenna W/LMR-400 coax
Jet Stream 75 AMP Power Supply

Post subject: Re: Maco Y Quad
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:57 pm 

Big G, I put up a Y Quad recently and am glad I did. No complaints, it works well when the skip roles in. I've got an Imax 2000 and the Y Quad, both perform about the same for local but the Quad outguns the Imax with he skip:)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:25 pm 

magilla gorilla: Thanks for the input. Big G.

Wilson 1000
IMAX 2000/RG-213 coax

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:42 pm 

I had a Y Quad many years ago, it was a great Beam worked excellent on the Flatside for skip, worked with a medium duty rotor real well (Less Costly) had it up for many years and had no problem with it at all, I gobbed alot of solder on the wires where they were put together to make sure they didn't fall apart, lived in Wis. at that time, I don't remember who originally made this antenna but think it could have been Wilson then (Not Sure) I think it is a great beam and you definately will notice the rejection compared to the 2000 when you want to turn it away from some idiot on the other side of town, really nice feature, they have real good ears too, I think it is a good choice, I would consider one again but in Vegas the constant heavy wind would tear it apart in no time out here, good luck, I don't think you will be unhappy with it at all, I wasn't. Widowmaker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:19 pm 

The Y quad is good but if you only want to run one coax i think my money will go for the V QUAD,that way you can talk both FLAT and HOR. at the same time, with only one coax,that is if you have issues with putting holes in walls for coax to run to your set-up.It is also light weight beam you can put up with a push up pole and a light router to turn them.Just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:37 pm 

One coax? I think not! The Y-Quad You can run Horiz. or Flat side and you do need to run two coax's and a switch box to run one or the other. Have a great day. Big G.

Wilson 1000
IMAX 2000/RG-213 coax

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:13 pm 

Can I just leave out the vert and just run Horz?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:45 pm 

15minigrass wrote:Can I just leave out the vert and just run Horz?

You can...But why not take advantage of both? Antenna switch's are not that expensive, and neither is coax...Vertical comes in handy when you want to tune-out locals on one side of town, so you can talk to someone in the other direction...can't do that with a omni.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Contact Us | All times are UTC - 6 hours