It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:10 am

Contact Us | All times are UTC - 6 hours

Welcome
Welcome to sparkyscbshack

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Galaxy DX99V output?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:38 am 

I have a just about NIB Galaxy 99 and wondered what the out of the box A.M pep should be? As far as I know it was only converted and tuned.No limiters chopped and nothin "crank up". Also without hacking it all up are there any mods anyone knows of that will give it more power without making it sound like crap? Kinda of a neat radio,just don't know much about them as far as how they sound and the best setup. Thanks a ton Mike!!!

Post subject: Re: Galaxy DX99V output?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:38 pm 

I have on from Sparky both Top Guns insatlled with a skythumper mic, nasty modulation!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:07 pm 

With just a conversion they should do 25 watts PEP. With a simple peak and tune with no clipping 30 watts no problem. I would call Al and see what tricks he has learned over the years for those as far as parts up-grades and mods. When he is done i'm sure 35-40 watts with nice loud clean audio will be happening.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:34 pm 

There's an easy mod that gets rid of a ton of the talkback squeal. I did it to mine.
http://www.galaxyradios.com/talkback.html

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm 

Thats why I ask on here... Just straight facts and great info.I'm gonna give sparky a call and get her done.35 -40 watts would be perfect for my Texas star 500. Was thinkin I can see what I can get watt wise outa my 2950. I do AM 99% of the time thats why i was gonna use my Galaxy. Thank you guys a ton for the replies!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:49 am 

Have Sparky add a talkback switch on the back of the radio so talkback is not always on.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:27 am 

I ran into a problem with putting a TB switch in. I went to cbtricks and it said to cut J15 and switch out there. i had to go out and ran out of time after cutting the wire so put the 99 back together. so end result even after cutting J15 I still have TB all the time. i rechecked cbtricks and it mentioned r35 and it doesent exist in my radio. I am stumped!!! Anyone know whats goin on with this?????

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:09 am 

Which board do you have in your radio? Disconnecting the wire at J15 is for the EPTOSSB50C (SMT) board. If you have an earlier model with the EPTOSSB50B board (legs of the compnonents pass through the board) you need to disconnect the wire at TR35.

And keep on thinking free
~The Moody Blues

WR0220 Washington State 38LSB
CPI • Cobra • Icom • Yaesu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:40 pm 

Well thats the problem.I have the SMT board and there is nothing on the main board for TR35. Also TB works on AM if echo is on or off, but it did shut TB of on SSB and FM. This could only happen to me!! lol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:25 am 

If you have the SMT board then disconnecting the wire at TR35 doesn't apply to your radio. The only thing I can suggest is to go back and double check your work. If all else fails, you may want to trace the talkback wire down to the echo pot and put your switch inline with it. I did this to a local's 200gtl dx (talkback & echo are controlled by the same pot) and it worked fine. Trace the talkback wire to the pot, then verify it is the correct wire by removing it from the pot (talkback should be disabled). Run that wire to one side of a spst switch, then run a wire from the other side of the switch back to leg of the pot where the original wire was removed. That way you can have the talkback on to adjust your echo, then flip the switch and disable talkback once you've made your adjustments.

And keep on thinking free
~The Moody Blues

WR0220 Washington State 38LSB
CPI • Cobra • Icom • Yaesu

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Contact Us | All times are UTC - 6 hours