It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:11 pm

Contact Us | All times are UTC - 6 hours

Welcome
Welcome to sparkyscbshack

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Galaxy dx959
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:23 pm 

I just bought a Galaxy DX959,(my first galaxy radio) is there anything special i need to do to hook it up or is it like any other cb out there. BTW it is completely stock no mods done yet. I had a cobra 148 in my truck had it peaked and tuned had extra channels put in and the guy did a dial a watt but he did not align it right and the radio smoked. And i was mad the guy went out of business about a month ago two months after the work was done. Any info would be great and is this galaxy a good radio.

Post subject: Re: Galaxy dx959
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:56 pm 

Just hook it up like any other. It should be set up because they are not really set up very good from factory power wise. They generally come 3-4 watts on the variable so would be wise to get it to someone that can do the basic power adj and mod. adj. on it w/the vr pots. Just make sure you have a good match with your antenna to radio so you dont smoke that new radio. Them are very easy to add xtra chs. to. If bought from Sparky he tunes and aligns them free. Have fun with it good radios for the money.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:39 pm 

i hooked it up and flipped the switch to swr keyed up on ch. 1, 40, and 19 and the gage just barley moves, i flip it to tx and key up and i go all the way to the red so i would say i hooked it up right. unfortunately i did not buy it from him i got it at a flying j for 100 dollars. i want to get it peaked and tuned and want to get the top gun kit installed

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:31 pm 

As long as the match is good your set to talk. Great deal for $100 it would be smart to get it setup at a reputable shop like Sparkys. Once Sparky is done with it you will be ready to really talk and will be amp ready if you ever go that route also. You will have a great setup for cheap money.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:42 pm 

i have a friend who is a trucker and he has a maxed out galaxy radio and he is going to take it to a local guy around here where i live and get it peaked and tuned.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:18 am 

K1981,
I personally think you made a wise choice on selecting a DX959. I have been running one for over a year now and I’m very satisfied with its overall performance. Not only do they have all the whistles and bells (except echo) they can be modified from the mild to the wild. The 959 as well as most Galaxies reacts very well to both Top Gun mods. Once added, your modulation and clarity will be greatly improved. For around 50 bucks installed they are a great investment.
The extra channel mod calls for the addition of two SPST switches mounted to the side of your radio which will in turn get give 100 plus channels outside the normal CB band. You can also have the clarifier unlocked which will allow you to tune your Tx and Rx simultaneously… a real nice feature when playing sideband.
If you want to add an echo you can always have an echo board installed or you can simply add the Xtreme 2018 power mic which will give you a great sounding echo that can be adjusted on the fly. If echo isn’t your thing the Astatic 636L noise canceling mic matches up quite nicely.
As far as having the radio itself tuned I strongly recommend it in lieu of the fact that the factory settings are ball parkish at best. It’s probably the single best thing you can do to help the radios overall performance. An EXTREME WORD OF CAUSION- make sure you use a highly and I mean highly recommended technician to do anything to your radio. There are far more “hacks” out there that will be glad to take your money and slaughter your radio than there are truly reputable techs. I’d put the ratio at least 50 to 1 of hacks versus technicians. Sparky and his staff are on a very very short list of reputable ones.

Have Fun… :D :D

Base:
RCI 2980wx (Sparked)
TS 500V (Pill)
Pride DX-300 (Tube)
Jetstream 75amp PS
Interceptor 10K Ant
D104-M6B Mic

Mobile:
Galaxy DX66 (Sparked w/TG mods)
TS 350 (Pill)
Wilson 5k Ant
X 2018 mic

ImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:21 pm 

thank you for your response the guy i am going to have do the tuning a modding did my friends like i said and he has a galaxy dx95t that he has peaked and tuned and all the bells and whistles. he also is running a kicker pushing a lot of watts. this guy has almost 2500 into his setup he can talk a long ways on a day with no skip.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Contact Us | All times are UTC - 6 hours