It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:31 am

Contact Us | All times are UTC - 6 hours

Welcome
Welcome to sparkyscbshack

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Connex 4600 / WIlson 1000 SWR
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:34 pm 

Hey all,
Just installed my Connex 4600 w/ TopGuns along with Wilson 1000 mag mount, all from from Sparkys.
Want to make sure I'm getting the best SWR

Here is the info:
Installation is on a 15 Pasenger Ford Van (Lots of roof metal), adjusted in the middle of an empty parking lot, nothing within 60'

After playing with the antenna, moving it around to different areas, adjusting the stinger, etc, the best I could get for SWR (Using the Vanco I got from Sparkys) was:
A little over 1.3 on 1
A hair over 1 on 19
and about 1.2 on 40

When I set the SWR, mic gain was all the way off, was not speaking into the mic, and the RF power all the way up

Stinger is out as far as I can go to get both set-screws to catch, Just not sure if I can get better numbers

Thnx/Brgds,

Post subject: Re: Connex 4600 / WIlson 1000 SWR
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:45 pm 

I would run it like that,those #'s are fine.Dont drive yourself nuts trying to get flat #'s.

Connex/General Washington
RCI 2950
RCI 2950 DX
Ranger 6300F25
Galaxy DX99V

Uniden Grant XL
Dale Made 3-CPX800A7 Tube Base
Dale Made 4 Pill Base
Dale Made 2 Pill Mobile
LA900 Mobile

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:59 pm 

dresser dave wrote:I would run it like that,those #'s are fine.Dont drive yourself nuts trying to get flat #'s.

agreed....I never get a flat SWR with my Wilson 1000.

SuperStar 158EDX....Sparky's tuned....Top-Guns....polished stainless steel covers.
Palomar FET450HD
Imax 2000 with the GPK radials....feed point 18'6"....LMR-400 UltraFlex.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:10 pm 

That thing is "dialed."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:11 pm 

Thanks guys, makes me feel better knowing that the hour and a half I spent moving that darn mag mount (literally inch-to inch) across my roof was not in vein.

I found that the best spot was middle and forward (Basically, about 2.5 feet back from the windshield). Remember, this is a long, 15 passenger van .... I started in the middle of the roof with horrible SWR results, didn't start coming down until I got closer to the front ...... maybe because of too much roof metal?? I read on a few forums where it stated that van roofs with a lot of metal can negatively affect the SWR, but never seen an antenna need to be lengthened (Moved up almost out of the set screws) before ... new to me!

Anyway, Glad to know these numbers are good ..... don't want to blow up a brand new Sparky purchase!!!

Thnx/Brgds,

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:22 pm 

I should also ask about the SWR meter.....

I got the Vanco (SWR-1 model) from Sparkys, the instructions say it can handle 1 KW

Can I leave it in-line while I talk, or is it intended for SWR checks with quiet DK only?

I have played it safe and not used it for anything other than DK SWR check; figured I'd ask before I go and blow it.....
If I can't leave this one in line, is there a model anyone can suggest? I believe the 4600 T gets 50 DK with 200-220 PEP, not sure what is required for in-line with that wattage.

Thnx/Brgds,

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:37 pm 

good job on the tuning .
1KW seems like a lot for that meter . i wonder if its a miss print and has an extra 0 ?

astatic 700
palomar 225
astrom RS-35M
8x coax

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:22 pm 

Booty Monster, thnx for your reply (And by the way, I've been monitoring the forum for a while trying to learn as much as I can before I did the deed, and in doing so, I have come to admire the pic of the home-brewed antenna .... love it!

As for what the Vanco instructions say, I quote:

"Standing Wave Bridge & Field Strength Indicator, Model SWR-1, Vanco, Inc."

"In circuit mounting"
"The unit can be left continuously in the circuit for monitoring the transmitter outputs up to 1 KW.
Set the switch to "FWD" and adjust the knob for a meter swing to about midscale with the transmitter on (((By the way, this part also confuses me ... what do they mean by mid-scale? The overall scale is not easy to determine.... where is the line of demarcation?? ..... there is a big sweep, that in my opinion, leaves equal room for error; or maybe it's just because I'm a noob and I am being too decisive ... thought I should mention anyway).....

It goes on, "Any abnormal variation in the transmitter system will be detected quickly. The instrument consumes practically no power for this purpose" end quote

It goes on to talk about field strength testing, determining percentage power output, etc. .... then has a nifty schematic on the last page, that means nothing to me ...... sorry guys, I'm an air-cargo load-master, I'm very good with math to balance an airplane, but, as for this ..... well, I'm not a scientist ...... hope someone can help me??? :o)

Oh, and I should also mention, for those who have read this far, there is a NOTICE; that states: "SEVERE damage can occur if the gain is set too high when power is applied"

Again, for anyone that can help, many thanks to you; I certainly appreciate your efforts as well as your patience with a noob like me :o)

Brgds,
Greg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:17 am 

airopsmgr wrote:Booty Monster, thnx for your reply (And by the way, I've been monitoring the forum for a while trying to learn as much as I can before I did the deed, and in doing so, I have come to admire the pic of the home-brewed antenna .... love it!

As for what the Vanco instructions say, I quote:

"Standing Wave Bridge & Field Strength Indicator, Model SWR-1, Vanco, Inc."

"In circuit mounting"
"The unit can be left continuously in the circuit for monitoring the transmitter outputs up to 1 KW.
Set the switch to "FWD" and adjust the knob for a meter swing to about midscale with the transmitter on (((By the way, this part also confuses me ... what do they mean by mid-scale? The overall scale is not easy to determine.... where is the line of demarcation?? ..... there is a big sweep, that in my opinion, leaves equal room for error; or maybe it's just because I'm a noob and I am being too decisive ... thought I should mention anyway).....

It goes on, "Any abnormal variation in the transmitter system will be detected quickly. The instrument consumes practically no power for this purpose" end quote

It goes on to talk about field strength testing, determining percentage power output, etc. .... then has a nifty schematic on the last page, that means nothing to me ...... sorry guys, I'm an air-cargo load-master, I'm very good with math to balance an airplane, but, as for this ..... well, I'm not a scientist ...... hope someone can help me??? :o)

Oh, and I should also mention, for those who have read this far, there is a NOTICE; that states: "SEVERE damage can occur if the gain is set too high when power is applied"

Again, for anyone that can help, many thanks to you; I certainly appreciate your efforts as well as your patience with a noob like me :o)

Brgds,
Greg

I also have the Vanco....It's a great SWR meter....It's other features " I think " are more/less just a novelty and are of no real use to us average users.

Mid-Scale would mean....the needle would swing straight upward to around the 12 o'clock position.

SuperStar 158EDX....Sparky's tuned....Top-Guns....polished stainless steel covers.
Palomar FET450HD
Imax 2000 with the GPK radials....feed point 18'6"....LMR-400 UltraFlex.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:01 am 

MARC / 205 ....
So, based on you use, would you, OR, have you, used it in-line for any period of time???????

I also agree, especially with me being a noob, the other features require more explaining, which is why I turned to this forum. I don't want to appear to be a complete rookie here, but, I lost touch with a lot of the terminology about 15 yrs ago!!!!

Thnx all and Brgds,
Greg

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Contact Us | All times are UTC - 6 hours